Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Day 3 - 6/30/2015

It was raining in the evening and not as many people showed up ~4 people. So among the 3 coaches (or is it 2 coaches and a multiball guy?), I got to get individual training today.

FH warmup - I'm leaning forward now. Still need to add spin? by using a little bit of wrist I think. Still don't fully understand.
Edit 7/2/15: I think this may address what I was not understanding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10WMtibEZk

BH warmup - Need to move for differences in length. I have a tendency to reach for short balls rather than moving.

1 FH, 1 BH - need to move better by taking small steps laterally and make sure I hit the balls in the sweet spot on my forehand rather than reaching. Make sure to move to bh shots as well. Spin the ball on fh to get it on table however: My backswing is sometimes too far back. Keep paddle up and don't backswing farther than body.

Serve backspin, short backspin, short backspin, long to middle, loop backspin, then BH topspins, then random forehand:
I had a lot of trouble with this, especially on the random forehand. I tend to just use my arm and need to rotate my torso on the forehand shot. I found it became easier when I'm leaning forward. I tried to stay on my toes but it didn't help much.

Serve backspin, get long push to backhand, backhand loop to bh, backhand topspin to bh, forehand on bh side, forehand on fh side:
On the backspin loop, keep arm loose/relaxed and keep stroke small and moving forward. A mistake is that my stroke was too vertical/stiff. On forehand on backhand side, my feet should be more vertical. On the long movement from fh on bh side to fh on fh side, need to shuffle there (crossover if the distance is very large only). I need to focus on keeping my balance/weight transfer on my strokes. I tend to over transfer weight and my movements tend to become very stationary because of it.


Focuses for next time:
1) Rotate on bh to fh shots.
2) Stay relaxed/short quick stroke on bh loops vs backspin
3) Transfer weight on shots but keep my balance so that my movements don't slow because of it --> footwork --> move faster!
4) And contineu working on the new backhand over the table loop.

Other notes: Continue remembering to stay leaning forward to make movement easier. Racket on backhand topspins started becoming more upward facing....hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment