Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Week 5: 2/7/2018

Late post this week. I have been feeling a bit under the weather since Sunday. I took a nap that day and ended up not waking up until halftime! Anyways, I had a decent first swim and four-mile run this past week. I forget if I mentioned it in a previous post but about two weeks ago I began to run a post-workout mile after my strength workouts. So, roughly 4 miles/wk. This week, I will do some sort of inclined-run on the treadmill. I feel that this idea of alternating between distance weeks and incline(strength?) weeks is helpful, at least where I am in the infancy of my running training.

Swimming-wise, I did a 1000 test swim with my 100-splits being 1:15, 1:22, with the last 8 100s being between 1:28-1:33. I am happy with the results. The immediate goal is to being able to hold a pace faster than 1:30 and the long-term goal is to be able to hold 1:20 pace for a whole mile. My workout consisted of a 300 warmup, test swim, 400 pull, 400 kick, 200 front crawl drills. I will be repeating the workout with a goal of holding 1:30 pace for the test swim. Unfortunately, my free trial pass to the ymca has run out. I will have to try to see if I can negotiate some sort of low-cost student membership at the YMCA or get a membership to a neighboring university's pool.

For table tennis, I am preparing to get myself into tournament shape again. After spending the past month playing matches with clubmates, I am doing this mainly through multiball to really try to make my common shots be reliable in matches. The secondary aim is to get my legs/body into being able to hold a lower position to increase stability in my movement and shots.

Well, now that this blog post is done it's time to get back to the medical school grind. A tough week seems to be ahead with a quiz coming up tomorrow and a practical exam on Friday and two exams next week. Looking forward (something I try really hard not to do...it stresses me out :x), theres a lull week followed by a mid-semester hell week - 2 exams, 1 quiz, and 1 practical all within a week. Some combination of hard work and luck will probably be necessary here!

No comments:

Post a Comment